POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Different camera parameters : Re: Different camera parameters Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:20:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Different camera parameters
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 25 Apr 2003 04:30:15
Message: <3ea8f217@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:

>  - the look_at vector is applied in the following manner: the direction is
> changed to face towards the look_at vector, the right vector is changed to
> be perpendicular to [the plane created by the vectors (look_at-location) and
> (sky-location)], and the up vector is made to remain along that plane. This
> is the most intuitive behavior, which lets you specify where the camera is
> looking at. The sky vector is used at this point to determine how much the
> camera is "rolled" (so that it knows which direction is "up").

Gee, I had totally forgotten that look_at straigthens the up and right
vectors.

Thanks!

Now I remember also to wonder : why ? I believe it is the only case
where Pov tries to 'smartly' correct what the user specifies... and
destroy my careful camera shearing. (BTW and IIRC, one need to disable
vista buffers to use camera shearing.)

Povingly,

Philippe